July 23, 2014

My First Flight and Abroad!

I really want to live in NTU. Or any place similar to it.

I was so happy to finally get a chance to ride an  airplane (yes it was my very first flight!) It is my first time and I did go alone all the way to SG. As I waited for my friends, I strolled around Changi and admired all those shiny stuffs which cost as much as my UKT or even higher. I really, really, did not know what to do. Because I could not connect my phone to wifi and at that time, the staffs I'd been asking to did not really help me, who is not very adaptive in reading directions. Until finally I found an information services, and I told them that I could not receive any text hence I couldn't connect my device to wi-fi, So this young and pretty lady helped me, and tadaa finally I could connect my phone! So I quickly chatted my friend who's already in Little India, informed her that I had arrived since like an hour ago, and asked her when would she come. As I waited for her, I looked for a room to pray, I went to level one, and I found a room to pray, yay! I was so happy, I did not know that I could be that grateful. I realise on how I'm never grateful for always have a room to pray, an adzan to remind me, and whenever I go, there will always be a mushola.

So that was that. The most exhausting yet fun experience was when we finally took an MRT to Pioneer, but we did not know which SBS to take. So Kak Ojan was being so kind hearted by asking everyone he met for the direction to NTU. As he kept on asking, the rest kept on sighing and whining on how picky the orgcomm was for not giving any acommodation or even a guidebook. So as we reached NTU complex, without further knowledge, we hurriedly got off the bus. As we sat on the chair, we asked each other, so, where are going now? it's like there are no one who knew about this UADC, we cannot even connect our device to wi-fi, or even found any wi-fi connection here, we were just another verse of spongebob and patrick getting lost in a nothing-land. Until finally we met India people (who was probably a participant from NTU itself, I guess) And we asked for direction. but the problem is that they talk REALLY FAST. We can't even distinguish which noun did they use, take a right or take a ride. so we ended up in a cafetaria (after asking a person and being suudzon that she did not really know where to head) until finally I got punished for spilling Kak Wira's 2$ milktea wkwkwkwk and I gotta ask every person who just came in for direction. So I did. Until finally I convince the others that the last person who gave me direction is the right one.


The most exhausting and desperate part is when we have to carry our baggage, along the way, getting off and on the SBS, and also stairs. Thankfully, after getting lost for almost 6 hours, we found the orgcomms and got our rooms. It turned out that Ka Merfan did not forward the guidebook to us hence we were not able to find this global lounge easily. May God protect you kak.

Since it would take ages to write every detai; here, I'd just write why this trip means so much to me, even up until this second.

I met so many people come from various countries all over Asia, funny thing is eventhough there are some jokes who tells us that Asians are all the same, it sure is not. We definitely share different values. So to the first aspect, religion.

I met  friends from Hong Kong, her name is Rebecca, and the other one is Simon. Rebecca have a great curiosity about islam. She asked me, "Do Indonesian Govt impose you to wear hijab?" It was the funniest comment i've ever heard in my entire life. I burts into laugh in a second. Meanwhile Simon kept asking why are not we allowed to show our hairs, and then he asked " If you're not allowed to show your hair, how are your boyfriend going to play with your hair? Will the just paly with your scarves?" Hahahhahaha I realllllllyyyyyyyy love these guys! Simon was really interested in learning swear words in bahasa wkwk he even got his voice recorded wkwkwk. I cannot even.

I also met Philipino fellows, it's Mhy, Christian, and two of their friends, Belle from South Korea and Asia from Somalia. There are so many things I just discovered. Mhy is only 18th yet she already got her bachelor degree, meanwhile Christian is only 24 and he already becomes a Professor, what am I doing in my entire life :( No wonder, they got their High School and Junior High integrated in 4 years term so.. yeah. Belle told me so many things about South Korea, about how physical appearance is number one in Korean life, about how she assessed someone as handsome, and so many things. And so did Asia.

During the trip I learned that so many things I need to do in order to be succeed. Firstly first, study hard. I once visited the study room in NTU on Sunday, and almost all the seats are taken with those who are preoccupied with their books and laptops. Secondly, be fast. People will not wait for you, they have their own business, get yourself used to line on the left side on elevator, so they who are in hurry might use the right side to walk. Thirdly, be well-prepared. Prepare at least two plans.

Humans are so complex. You go to different villages and you will spot a difference. I see why it would take so long for us Indonesian to finally get accustomed abiding regulations and norms. Giving up your seat on a bus for an elder would trouble Indonesian much because what we think is, we deserve this seat for we have spent so much energies just to sit here and still after got off from the bus itself. Funny though that in Singapore young people would not think twice to take a seat if there's still an elder/ liability/ pregnant woman who haven't got their seat. Queuing on the left line pn elevators is nothing because it is simply what you're supposed to do. And so on et cet ra. We take so long time to get used to a new habit, eventhough we know that it would do good for us but still, we'll experience a culture shock at first, what matters is a sincere will to change and be better.

That's why the motto of 'just be yourself' is no longer relevant. because we are a different person in day by day. We can not force something which is no longer fit in us to fit in right? that's why a change is necessary. life happens and we change, being your old, young, and immature self is not relevant anymore. Be better for the sake of yourself. Do not let life shape you, you are the one who control every events on your life and also the aftermath.


No comments: